Bed Decks

N

Administrator

AuthorMessageLorna

Squirrel

Posted: Wed May 21, 2003 5:39 am   Post subject: Bed Decks

Has anyone replaced the plywood bed decking? Mine are the 54" ones and are currently filling up with water. I had removed all the walls yesterday to relace the hinge material and fix the roof/backwall (extrusions need to be removed to do it right). I was repairing the little green caps when I heard it start to sprinkle so I got out my ez-up and set it up over the end of the pop-up. Unforunately last night it started to really rain. Now my exposed plywood has water in it and looks like it won't stop raining until tonight. My plywood was pretty wavy to start with and I'm pretty sure this won't help. I wanted to replace it anyways but hubby doesn't want to...he's not comfortable with having to splice a piece of plywood that support a load but have no center support for the splice. He's not sure the Gorilla Glue/plywood combo would hold together.

timsch

Vesely Prodigy

Posted: Wed May 21, 2003 6:20 am   Post subject:

I have replaced the plywood on a few different Apaches, no problem. We glued and airnailed it. Use your old pieces for a template. To remove the plywood, remove the inner most piece by drilling out the rivots. They are 3/16" rivots so use a 3/16" drill to drill them out. Your best bet is to use 3/16" steel rivots to secure it back in also. If your husband is worried about the splice, you can always purchase oversize plywood to do it in onepiece if you don't mind getting hit the price for the oversize stuff, otherwise the splice works just fine. I mean look at how old yours is now and he has'nt fallen thru it yet.

timsch

Vesely Prodigy

Posted: Wed May 21, 2003 7:13 pm   Post subject:

Gary, I actualy have a couple of them and can send you one if you would like to trade the "Eagle" for a "Ramada"? Game?

timsch

Vesely Prodigy

Posted: Wed May 21, 2003 8:10 pm   Post subject:

ooops! Wrong post in wrong place!!!!

aztekasaur

Chipmunk

Posted: Wed May 21, 2003 10:53 pm   Post subject: 2 questions re:beds & decking

Speaking of the beds..... 

2 questions:

1) I noticed on the underside of the bed decking on my '78 Royal, there are what appear to be stitching of some sort. Was there originally a sewn on cover? Is this the splice? there is one on each side of the centre brace.

2) How much weight will the beds support? My wife is concerned cuz our dogs like sleeping with us (approx 400lb + total)

Lorna

Squirrel

Posted: Thu May 22, 2003 5:38 am   Post subject:

Wow! 200 lb dogs! I take it that is the combined weight of all of you not just the dogs. Our dog is 40 lb (more when she decides to eat...she hates dog food, thinks she should eat people food and on a plate) and takes up alot of room in the camper. I'd hate to have 2 of her.

aztekasaur

Chipmunk

Posted: Thu May 22, 2003 6:25 am   Post subject:

200lb dogs!! we'd have to get another apache just for them 

Actually, my wife would love a couple of 200 pounders. They are approx 45lbs and 70lbs.

So....... What's the capacity of the beds!!! 

Dan

DW

'96 DD

'01 Aztek

'78 Royal

This post has been restored from the original Apachepopup forum that was discontinued. Select posts have been recovered and copied to the new forum to preserve their content. 

February 22, 2022 3:56 PM