72 Mesa roof cover ??? (includes post on how to replace roof cover)

N

Administrator

AuthorMessageFitzFolly

Squirrel

Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 8:09 am   Post subject: 72 Mesa roof cover ???

Hello all ,

I am replacing the roof end seals and the smaller seals along the sides with materials from Apache Sales Corp.. I have the metal off all the way around. The black foam seal between the extruded roof frame and the inside of the roof cover is in decent shape. The weatherstriping foam tape between the outside of the roof cover and the edge metal is falling off(1/2 x 1/8?). In the corners some kind of caulk was used between the roof cover and the edge metal. I can see that the roof sheds water because the roof cover overlaps the roof frame extrusion you see on the inside. I'm thinking of removing the roof cover entirely to allow access to the roof bows inside so that I can paint them.

Here's my questions for those of you who have replaced your roof seals and/or worked on your roof covers, including taking them off.

1. Have you replaced the black foam seal between the roof frame and the inside of the roof cover? Is it a common profile or does it have to be ordered in?

2. I plan to replace the weatherstrip between the roof cover and the edge metal. Have any of you added a sealant between the roof cover and the edge metal so water doesn't seep down in between the roof cover and the edge metal? I was thinking of putting some strands of rope putty in there.

3. Is the roof cover secured to the inner liner by the roof fan/vent structure? I have the large(9"x9"?) vent cover, and the vent fan framework, but no fan. Are there some bolts or screws I need to remove from the inside to be able to lift off the roof cover?

Thanks for sharing,

Fitz 

79 Ramada

72 Mesa

tnaptguy

Moose

Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 10:56 pm   Post subject:

try private messaging tim......Yeah, that's it .....try tim....yeah he can tell ya........if anybody can~!!!!! 

tnaptguy--Bret '67

Jen '68

BretII '95

Emily '99

Rachael '01

Sophia '03

Tinkerbell '97

DodgeRam TurboDeisel'99

Ramada '79

wannabe

Squirrel

Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 6:55 am   Post subject:

Fitz, our next project is roof work and we are completely scared. Please take pics. tell parts and quantity of stuff. Please make a Sticky! Please, please please, wannabe-Kelly 

timsch

Apache Master

Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 7:15 am   Post subject:

That weather seal only has one purpose and that is to pad between the road cover and the retainers that hold the road cover down. It has no weather, i.e. water, resistance at all. You are correct in that the roadcover is designed to shed water over the sides. Putting caulk into this space, or anything else for that matter, instead of the foam is actually very bad as it will not allow the road cover to contract and expand with weather conditions. Thus it will be prone to stress cracks. You can buy the foam at Home Depot. The one I use is the grey in color, almost a rubber consistancy, with adhesive to one side. I also use the same foam on the bed end windows and on the 71 thru 75 models, the side windows. You do need to remove the roof vent grate and metal plate that are on the interior to remove the road cover as it sandwhiches at that point. This is also a great time to replace all the screws to the road cover retainer with stainless steel ones so they dont rust on you as the old ones did. Good luck and let us know how it goes

FitzFolly

Squirrel

Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 8:56 am   Post subject:

Tim, Thanks for replying and sharing information. I do plan to replace the screws with stainless steel ones, as soon as I get the broken ones drilled/cut/dug out  I'm puzzled by your tip about using the foam tape on the windows of the 71-75 models. Do you use it between the window frame and the ABS panels?

New question about the side seal between the roof frame extrusion and the body(lowered) or side panels(raised). The seal I got from Apache has a T profile at the top, then a hollow circle, then two little wings that stick out from the bottom sides at an angle. I assumed the edge of the body panel or the edge of the side panels are supposed to fit in between the wings. Did I get the right seal for the sides?

I notice the old(original?) seal on the side looks more like the roof end seals, being about 1" long, and even seems to wrap around from the roof ends. It is all brittle and folded over in places.

Thanks again, Fitz

79 Ramada

72 Mesa

timsch

Apache Master

Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 9:05 am   Post subject:

On the 71 thru 75's they have the ABS side walls and the windows are like the bed end windows in the 76 thru 87 models. It does sandwhich between the window frame and the ABS wall. Sounds as though you have the correct side wall seals. That seal will seat down on the top of the side walls and fill the gap. It will be a bear to get it in and you will swear it is not the correct size but remember what happens to rubber seals when weathered, they shrink. The new seal will be the correct size and fit VERY snug into the track. Make sure to clean the track of any dirt and debree in it

FitzFolly

Squirrel

Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 8:32 am   Post subject:

Tim, thanks for taking the time to reply in detail. I appreciate it. I'll clean the track out well before I start. If I do take the cover off, would you recommend replacing the insulation material in the roof? I've seen some posts referring to using a 1/4" bubble material to do that, although I haven't looked for it in the local stores. Is it a specialty item or should it be available in the local market? Home Depot, Lowes, etc. Thanks again, Fitz _________________ 79 Ramada 72 Mesa

DDLTEXAN

Ole' Elmer Like

Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 4:54 pm   Post subject: Fitz

FitzFolly wrote:Tim, thanks for taking the time to reply in detail. I appreciate it. I'll clean the track out well before I start.

If I do take the cover off, would you recommend replacing the insulation material in the roof? I've seen some posts referring to using a 1/4" bubble material to do that, although I haven't looked for it in the local stores. Is it a specialty item or should it be available in the local market? Home Depot, Lowes, etc.

Thanks again,

Fitz

Fitz,

I got a roll of the silver bubble insulation that is 4 feet wide and I forgot how long at our local Lowes. They also have the silver metal tape used for a/c work (last MUCH longer than duct tape) that you can tape the pieces together to insulate your ceiling. I am running the silver bubble insulation from side to side (not end to end) and am taping it together with the metal silver tape used for a/c work. That way it will fit best with the least amount of cutting on the insulation. I am putting the insulation right on top of my old skinny styrofoam insulation that is in the roof of my 1973 Ramada. I hope this helps.

Alan

Restoring a 1973 Ramada

FitzFolly

Squirrel

Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 9:41 am   Post subject:

Thanks Alan, You're right about Lowe's. 4' x 25' for $40. They also sell it in a 3' roll. Fitz _________________ 79 Ramada 72 Mesa

FitzFolly

Squirrel

Posted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 9:18 am   Post subject:

Just an update in case what I've learned while replacing my bed end roof seals and the body sidewall seals will help anyone. Get your coffee, it's a long one.

1) I'd recommend taking all the roof trim metal off so that you can see the roof frame extrusion channels that the seals slide into and the channel that the trim metal attachment screws go into. Plus, it makes it much easier to grip the seal material as you slide it into the channels. Tip-To remove the trim attachment screws that broke off, I used a rotary tool with a 1 1/4" reinforced cutting wheel (Dremel) to cut through the center of the screws. Then I could pry out the remnants.

2) Tim said to clean the channels that the seals slide into, and he was right. It worked well for me to use a small hand powered wire brush to clean off all the dirt and gunk on the underside of the extrusion, getting up inside the channel as much as possible, then blowing it out. Then I sprayed silicone spray in the channel and slid a discarded 6" piece of the old seal that was hard with age in the channel. Holding it against the outside, then against the inside, then up against the top of the channel. It was surprising how much gunk that got off.

3) I sprayed silicone spray in the extrusion channels and a little on the T profile of the seals. The roof end seals went in easily. It worked best for me to work them in from one side, reapplying silicone spray in the channel ahead of the seal and getting a little help from my son at the end. Tip-Be careful if you try to pull the seal into the channel. The channel is metal and sharp, the seal is rubber and soft. If the T profile is not entering the channel squarely, the metal will shave off the edges of the T profile and there isn't much there to begin with.

4) The left body sidewall seal slid in easily and I thought, great, I listened, I cleaned well, and it paid off. Then I went to the right side to find that someone had attached awning metal by drilling directly into the T Profile channel and through the old seal.  Fortunately that was in the back 4' of channel, unfortunately 3 of the 4 screws had broken off. I used a rotary tool with a cutting wheel to cut the screws out of the channel. That worked well for the top of the channel, but it was hard get into the sides of the channel and I had to use a little file to dig out the rest.

5) I have purchased 3/8" x 1/2" MD high density weatherstrip to use between the roof frame extrusion and the roof cover and 1/4" x 1/2" of the same to use between the roof cover and the trim metal. If that's not the right profile to use, please let me know.

Hope this is useful information to someone.

PS. I also took the time to shine up the aluminum extrusions of the body sidewall and the bedend frame with some 00 and 0000 steel wool. What a difference in appearance!

Bye, Fitz 

79 Ramada

72 Mesa

tnaptguy

Moose

Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 11:45 pm   Post subject:

Great instructional!!! See about putting in the Repairs area of the Forum for permanent refrence!! or sticky it.... _________________ tnaptguy--Bret '67 Jen '68 BretII '95 Emily '99 Rachael '01 Sophia '03 Tinkerbell '97 DodgeRam TurboDeisel'99 Ramada '79

This post has been restored from the original Apachepopup forum that was discontinued. Select posts have been recovered and copied to the new forum to preserve their content. 

February 20, 2022 5:41 PM