3 way fridge

N

Administrator

AuthorMessageJD

Chipmunk

Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 3:49 pm   Post subject: 3 way fridge

OK A dumb question...how do you turn on the 3 way fridge? I've tried 110AC and it won't turn on, tried switch, checked fuse, AC outlet etc... Everything seems in order? The previous owner said that it worked, but just wasn't getting as cold as it used too. It's a Insta-Matic by Magnavox, 3 way fridge. Anyone have any ideas? Oh also the ceiling fan doesn't work...same circuit? Thanks, _________________ 1970 JD 1976 Mesa 1999 V6 Tacoma 4X4 extcab

timsch

Vesely Prodigy

Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 5:55 pm   Post subject: fridge

Make sure it is plugged into the 120v outlet. make sure the AC switch is at it's coldest. Check the stack in back after it has run for 1/2 hour to see if any heat is being put out. Check interior of fridge for any yellowing on the plastic. If you see yellow staining it could be that the amonia has leaked out of the system if the stack gets hot and it is set to coldest AC setting. Home Depot sells an AC 120v Magic Chef fridge for $69.00. My three way has been acting up and if I even so much as get a wiff of trouble this year, the Magic Chef is going in. My parents in law have a 1977 Ranger with a 120v AC unit and it works great. Original OEM from Vesely Corp. I only camp where there are electric and water hook up so no need for the three way. A new three way will cost you almost $400.00.

JD

Chipmunk

Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 6:41 pm   Post subject: 3 way fridge

Thanks Tim, So should it make any kind of noise? It makes none, the AC outlet next to it works...so...hmmm. No yellowing or leaks that are showing. I will certainly be making a trip to HD if it doesn't work. I can't believe the price of a 3 way. My exhaust fan and my overhead light don't work either? but all the AC outlets work. The fuse...the only one I could find in under the bed end is good. Thanks Again, JD _________________ 1970 JD 1976 Mesa 1999 V6 Tacoma 4X4 extcab

timsch

Vesely Prodigy

Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 10:37 pm   Post subject:

I was told by Campers Paradise, who were a long time Apache dealer and current co owners of Apache Sales Corp. in Lapeer is take the fridge out. Lay it on the left side for an hour, lay it on the top for an hour, lay it on the right side for an hour. Then put it on its bottom, plug it in and let it run for 24 hours. This uncloggs any bubbles or crystalization in the tubes. Problem here is it is a fix to a reoccuring problem. Mine did work after this but still not to where it should be. Did you try yours on gas yet? It could be that the 120v heating element on the stack tube could be shot. Try the gas and see if that heats it up good and starts the cooling process. Do you understand how these beasts opperate? Let me know and if not i will post the dark demons these bad boys possess!

JD

Chipmunk

Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 12:30 am   Post subject: Demonic Fridge

Hey Tim, No I'm not used to one of these (demon) fridges. I haven't attempted to run it on Gas yet, I will try tomorrow. Any information you could give me would be great. I will also try the flip flop method, so how the heck do you get it out of the camper? _________________ 1970 JD 1976 Mesa 1999 V6 Tacoma 4X4 extcab

timsch

Vesely Prodigy

Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 1:13 pm   Post subject:

How these puppies work. An amonia fluid is your refridgerant. It is heated and runs thru the tube. The heating elements, there are three of them, are along the tube in the "stack" section. Ther is a 120v element, a 12v element and the gas burner. The amonia is heated and turns into a gas, circulates, refridgerates and turns back to a liquid and repeats the process. To remove the fridge, undue your gas line and unplug the 12v and 120v cord/wires. Mine is in a 1978 Royal. Remove screws in back section that hold into the camper. There are screws on the interior of the camper that are located on the flip up cabinet section part. The screws are located on the lower section on the top. There should be 5 or 6 of them I believe that hold into the top of the fridge. As I remember, that is all that holds it in. Slide it out thru the front. Let me know how it goes.

cimar78

Moose

Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 2:47 pm   Post subject:

JD, we have the 3 way fridge too. Have not had too much trouble with it, but it did quit once last year. The guy at the camper store said to unplug for a couple hours the plug it back in and see if it came on. He told us if that did not work to do what Tim said the laying on each side, but thank goodness ours came on after unplugging for a bit. If it acts up again, am going for the one at HD. If we go anywhere with no electric, we'll just take a cooler. The one we have in our Cimarron is a Domenica. Good Luck Deb

kevin W

Posted: Thu May 01, 2003 7:50 am   Post subject: here is a good frig link

This helped me alot

JD

Chipmunk

Posted: Sat May 03, 2003 9:04 am   Post subject: 3 way fridge

Thanks all, I should be able to fix it or determine it's bad with all of this info _________________ 1970 JD 1976 Mesa 1999 V6 Tacoma 4X4 extcab

JD

Chipmunk

Posted: Mon May 05, 2003 1:35 pm   Post subject: It works...Cool!

Woohoo, It makes ice and gets super cold. Thanks too all, (Tim I tried your little trick, thanks) Thanks too everyone. I also found a break in the wires that was preventing my fan and light from working. All is good. _________________ 1970 JD 1976 Mesa 1999 V6 Tacoma 4X4 extcab

timsch

Vesely Prodigy

Posted: Mon May 05, 2003 2:05 pm   Post subject:

Very Cool! Just remember to set the thermostadt and do no turn it anymore. Set it to coldest setting and let it be. And remember that this could happen again and if so we will both go to Home Depot and see if we can get a package deal, eh?

JD

Chipmunk

Posted: Mon May 05, 2003 2:50 pm   Post subject: Fridge

Sounds good Tim...hmm...wonder if they have Mesa Apache Brown fridges...lol Thanks again, JD _________________ 1970 JD 1976 Mesa 1999 V6 Tacoma 4X4 extcab

cimar78

Moose

Posted: Mon May 05, 2003 6:00 pm   Post subject:

Glad you got it going JD. May it live on for quite a few years. Ours too...lol, but if not I know the way to HD. Happy Camping

dbeal

Soggy Tenter

Posted: Tue May 06, 2003 11:09 am   Post subject: Need help with my 3 way fridge also

On the Royal that we bought last year the previous owner said that some of the wiring had melted and he hasnt used the fridge since. I'm thinking it was due to some kind of short. Is it posible to easily replace the wiring, and also he used a fire extinguisher to put out the short... any way to clean that stuff off the back?

timsch

Vesely Prodigy

Posted: Tue May 06, 2003 7:02 pm   Post subject:

Chances are if there was a short to cause a fire the fridge is toast.

This post has been restored from the original Apachepopup forum that was discontinued. Select posts have been recovered and copied to the new forum to preserve their content. 

February 20, 2022 4:02 PM